Forum home Tools and techniques

Plant labels

I want to label the plants in my herbaceous border. Has anyone used a label maker to write the labels and if so wouid you recommend it?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,221

Labels get pulled up by blackbirds, hoed up in summer, trodden on in winter and bleached by the sun.

I make a drawing on paper and number the flowerbeds. Then I mark each plant with a number on the drawings and write a description of each bed on another sheet.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,061

I use black T-labels and write on them with white permanent marker. The writing lasts really well but yes I hoe them up, tread on them, cut them up with the shears etc. etc.

I really only use them so that I don't forget where the plants are in the winter but place them so that they are concealed in the summer - which is why they get decimated so easily!

Oh and I also have an elaborate spreadsheet plan with all my plants on it so I don't actually need the labels.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,616

I use a Brother p touch GL 100 with laminated labels. They seem to last well.The unlaminated ones fade.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,839

A gardening friend is experimenting with roof slates which she gets her husband to cut into suitable strips and then she uses some sort of white marker to write the names of plants.   Pretty indestructible by all accounts.  i'll ask her how the writing is doing next time I see her.   Might try it myself.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • mollismollis Posts: 150

I find that using a soft HB pencil lasts several years for me. image

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Given up with labels, blackbirds, squirrels, me - no chance really.  I do label in the greenhouse, well, at first, but then when germination just starts to race I think I'll remember what that leaf is - do I heck!!  Still, it's all good fun and pretty harmless really! 

• Thank you, I have a plan and as Singing Gardener says markers for things that disappear in summer or winter. We have B&B guests and would like to make the information available to them, that's all. Thank you, fidgetbones. 

• I tried using Sharpie pens on my plastic plant markers, under the impression that Sharpies were permanent; however, on plants outside, over time the writing faded/washed offimage They worked ok in the greenhouse though, and the writing is easily removed with nail varnish polish, so the markers can be re-used (waste not, want not!).  Be nice to find something more permanent for outside plants though!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,782

I labelled my patches of different snowdrops .............. then OH mulched over them image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh