Forum home Tools and techniques

Can a shed with a window and bench be used for a potting shed ?

I've just been reading a post about taking cuttings and it's made me think about my shed.  I've been thinking it would be nice to get a cold frame, but finances might have to wait for that one.

I'm limited with window sill use due husbands OCD and cluttering up the house, but I'm wondering if I might be able to use the bench in my shed as a place to grow cuttings?

I had an attempt with some cuttings last year and they failed, they went mouldy, they were in the utility room.

The shed faces NE so isn't in bright sunshine, but would it be too cold/dark for cuttings in there ? The bench is in front of the window.

Any advcice gratefully received as to if I could use it as somewhere to grow plants.  You can't open the windows but I'd be able to open the door for a bit each day if needs be. I need to learn how to do cuttings, esp with the phlox, asters, rudbeckia's and echinacea's I would like to try and increase numbers of, in my attempt to fill up my borders.

Thank you for any advice. xx

• NE isn't necessarily a wasted space for cuttings bearing in mind that anything which has only one direct light source will grow in that direction. 

Do you have electric to your shed ?  A heated bench would help things along by promoting quicker root growth.  Turning your cuttings regularly would help even growth.  A fluorescent tube would also assist.  Ventillation is essential........maybe a couple of strategically placed air vents set into the shed walls.........one high, one low....would help with that.image

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,539

What a brilliant idea tetley image I would never have thought of that.  My OH is going to be so pleased with you when he gets home from work and I tell him image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,284

Light is often the biggest issue for seeds and cuttings so turning regularly is the answer. You'd just have to be very vigilant.

Ventilation is probably trickier but philippa has given a good solution. Don't forget that a cold frame can be rigged up quite cheaply - old bits of timber or brick for sides and an old window for the 'roof'. You might find Gumtree or a similar site would have plenty of stuff that people are trying to get rid of. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Peanut3 if you could get some cardboard cover it with foil and put at the back of the seeds but you will still need to turn them every dayimage
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Peanut, warmth for new cuttings is more important than light, if you cannot afford heating then get a deep tray and fill it with grit, bury the pot of cuttings in that it will keep residual heat around the roots. Never overwater that is a killer just damp, stick you finger in the soil if it comes out with a little soil stuck to it then it is ideal. Cover cuttings with a roomy plastic bag, four sticks in the corner of the pot and the bag over them will give a more constant temperature. And of course the other good advice on here turn the pots.

Frank.