Forum home Plants

When to plant out perennial plug plants

2»

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289

I grew lilies and also had two cats at the same time. They never had any inclination to go near them. image

Not sure that's much help but I think it's possibly one of those slightly misleading 'every plant's going to kill us' type of warnings. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Sam 92Sam 92 Posts: 68
    I did have several lillies in the garden last year and no bother with the cats think cause they were quite tall and not near walls so the cats couldn't reach the flowers it's just with what you read online makes you panic! We have several dogs and cats aswell as smaller animals and birds and I have majority of them out in garden while I'm gardening and never any bother besides our rabbit eating whole trays of plug Hollyhocks,delphiniums and digitalis when I turned my back! I think animals know what plants are safe and what to avoid I doubt the rabbits intelligence I've seen him eat cables and attempting the couch so think he's a exception! Think I'll stick to pollen free lillies and just plant them out the way out of harms reach. Thanks Sam
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289

I think that should be banned right away Verd image

I certainly don't want to give you incorrect info Sam - but I've never heard of anyone having issues with cats and lilies. I think it's a case of common sense most of the time, and you're probably going about it the right way image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Sam 92Sam 92 Posts: 68
    One more quick question I've yet to tidy up my standard rose I'm pretty nervous at how to prune it to keep its shape, I prune bush and shrub and climbers fine but nervous with my standard, I have a free day tomorrow was going to try tackle it? it's cold here but don't think any frost and other plants I cut back November are back up already. Is it okay to be moving some herbaceous plants to? Thanks Sam
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Sam with the standard all you need to do now is shorten any long shoots to a rough ball shape. You don't need to be to fussy just yet. As for your perennials, I'd wait a while as its getting a lot colder next week.