How long does garden screening last?

How long do garden screening rolls last?

Do different types (willow, bamboo etc) last longer than others?

Are there ways to care for/preserve them that make them last longer?

• George.......I think there a thread on this query earlier this year.  Unfortunately I don't recall the title but you could use the search facility and put in Willow Screening".

I've a feeling the general consensus was that it may last for 2 to 3 years before needing replacement.  Obviously depends on where you are planning to use it, weather conditions, etc.  Logic says the sturdier better quality screening should last longer but...........?

I don't think there was much you could do to actually "preserve" the material as such.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,736

We bought some of this

http://www.gardman.co.uk/landscaping/1-8m-brushwood-screen.html

about ten years ago. it was wired to an existing picket style fence to soften the appearance. Apart from the odd crow trying to pull bits out it has lasted far longer than we imagined.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Pansyface..........that sounds pretty good value to me.  I bought some willow screening which I have wired to chainlink but that was only last year.  I hope mine proves as hardy as yoursimage

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,736
    We haven't had as much luck with our hazel hurdling. One lot has lasted about five years. The other began to rot and snap after only one. The difference, I believe though I may be wrong, is that one set was probably made in the autumn or winter and the other in the spring or summer. The winter branches were probably harder than the summer ones.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,543

I have some of the split bamboo stuff and I wouldn't really recommend it, but my weather conditions may also contribute to the poor lifespan.

I reckon you could use standard outdoor paints on it though, which may help prolong it's life. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hi there,

I have recently used willow screening for my yard. Earlier, I was sceptical in using it. I was under the impression that bamboo is better than willow. But, my landscape designer suggested me to get willow screening roll. Willow screening takes few minutes for installation. It has been 5 months now and I haven't come across any issues with willow screening.

Here are few things which you consider while maintaining willow screening:

• Try to avoid watering unless the spring and summer are very dry in which case flood the structure with as much water as you can for 24 hours then leave it for a week. If you water a little and often it will only encourage roots close to the surface and the structures will always be susceptible to droughts.
    • If you see other vegetation on willow screening try to trim it down.
    • Keep weaving in shoots need to be about 10”+ before they will stay where you put them but if they get to big they will not bend into the structure and will break. Don’t worry if they do break as two more shoots will come from the break point.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,473

I think you are mixing up rolls of dead willow screen with planted cuttings or fedges, Joseph. 

The bottom bit refers to maintenance of living willow cuttings, woven into structures.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,156

I replaced a panel that was always blowing out with willow screen . works fine wind blows straight through it. image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,805

Lots of wind and rain here so a split bamboo screen I put up as a windbreak lasted only two seasons and looked dreadful as bits rotted, broke or fell off.  

Gave up for a while but lost too many plants to bitter winter winds so I have now used rolls of green, nylon windbreak fabric which is much more effective, won't rot and does a great job as long as it's well attached so there's no flapping and tearing which I've seen on someone else's boundary nearby.   

It has helped the plants no end, including the shrubs originally planted as wind breakers.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Bamboo works well. The bamboo tree provides great cover in the summer and thrives each subsequent year. Bamboo is, however, slow growing. If you push fresh cut willow into the ground, it will take root and produce great foliage.