Forum home Plants

Can I plant these out now?

I've got a pretty bare front garden and was looking to plant out a number of hardy plants asap. Is there any reason why I can't put the following in now (or should I wait until Spring?).

Escallonia

Pulmonaria

Foxglove (plant not seed)

Poppy (plant not seed)

Astrantia roma

Gillenia Trifoliata

Nandina domestica

Many thanks in advance.

Andy

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,021

As long as the soil is neither frozen nor water-logged I would go ahead but if your garden is exposed I might consider potting them on in bigger pots and keeping them in a sheltered corner or coldframe.   Winter may yet arrive and freeze their socks.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks for the replies.

Haven't bought them yet Verdun but they are all 9cm pots except for the escallonia (2l), Gillenia (5l) and Nandina (10l). Guess I thought as the smaller ones are 'on offer' (3 for 2) and as it was still unseasonably warm I might be ok and maybe they'd come on quicker than if I waited 'til Spring.

For the sake of a couple of months though I'd rather wait than kill them off!
  • Thanks Verdun - so pot on just the 9cm plants and put in cold frame or also the larger ones? Or should I be ok planting out the larger plants now?
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,021

Keep them sheltered and chec regularly.  Pot on in good compost when you see roots at the bottom of the pot as restricted roots can check growth.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I'd say NO. Wait, were in for cold if not very cold temperatures which could turn into a prolonged cold spell.

• Lovely thanks all. I wanted to make sure I had the plants ready as it always seems when I want to buy things they are out of stock. Will grab all of them and wait until warm before planting out.

Have to say for a first poster I'm impressed with the speed of the helpful replies!! I'll have to start asking more questions (got a good Kalmia Latifolia one for another day).