Forum home Plants

Can I plant these out now?

I've got a pretty bare front garden and was looking to plant out a number of hardy plants asap. Is there any reason why I can't put the following in now (or should I wait until Spring?).

Escallonia

Pulmonaria

Foxglove (plant not seed)

Poppy (plant not seed)

Astrantia roma

Gillenia Trifoliata

Nandina domestica

Many thanks in advance.

Andy

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,045

As long as the soil is neither frozen nor water-logged I would go ahead but if your garden is exposed I might consider potting them on in bigger pots and keeping them in a sheltered corner or coldframe.   Winter may yet arrive and freeze their socks.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks for the replies.

Haven't bought them yet Verdun but they are all 9cm pots except for the escallonia (2l), Gillenia (5l) and Nandina (10l). Guess I thought as the smaller ones are 'on offer' (3 for 2) and as it was still unseasonably warm I might be ok and maybe they'd come on quicker than if I waited 'til Spring.

For the sake of a couple of months though I'd rather wait than kill them off!
  • Thanks Verdun - so pot on just the 9cm plants and put in cold frame or also the larger ones? Or should I be ok planting out the larger plants now?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,045

Keep them sheltered and chec regularly.  Pot on in good compost when you see roots at the bottom of the pot as restricted roots can check growth.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I'd say NO. Wait, were in for cold if not very cold temperatures which could turn into a prolonged cold spell.

• Lovely thanks all. I wanted to make sure I had the plants ready as it always seems when I want to buy things they are out of stock. Will grab all of them and wait until warm before planting out.

Have to say for a first poster I'm impressed with the speed of the helpful replies!! I'll have to start asking more questions (got a good Kalmia Latifolia one for another day).