Forum home Plants

David Austin Roses, are they worth it?

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

I really do love David Austin roses and plan to buy many more this year. I found the scent amazing, I have Gertrude Jekyll and Lady of the Lake. The scent grew as the plants matured. I do order them directly from David Austin and they both arrived in perfect condition. I am going to get a Lady Hamilton climber this year when my new fence has been put in.

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

I ordered two bare-rooted roses directly from DA last winter. One of them had a bit of dieback and DA promptly sent a replacement. Very polite and professional. Both the original roses and the replacement survived. They got blackspot in early winter, but the lady in our local GC said that "if that's the worst you've got, they're in very good shape". So mine are fairly disease-resistant.

Re a white or pink rambler, DA The Lady of the Lake is a lovely pale pink (nearly white) rambler with smallish flowers and has a gorgeous scent.

I'm going to get Lady Emma Hamilton next.

As far as are they worth the price, my point of view is that if you want a particular plant, then there's no point buying something else and thinking, every time you look at it, "OK, it's not what I wanted but I saved five quid."

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

Lou12, Lady Emma Hamilton and Geoff Hamilton are shrub roses, not climbers.

• I would pay the extra to have any rose supplied by David Austin but would buy direct  from David Austin. The  chain garden centres can have had potted roses for some time and they prune them when they have been on the shelf too long and this is not often done well. If you buy direct from Dabid Austin they will arrive in perfect condition and well shaped.

• I have a new but smallish rose bed. I bought Aldi  bare root HT last year as an experiment to compare cheap and cheerful with a DA shrub rose. Can't fault Aldi at Less than £2  though limited choice but well known roses. I have an Aldi Iceberg climber that didn't know when to stop flowering this past summer. my biggest investment is a full standard  from Harkness which was planted bare root in late November but is already showing new growth.

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 5,547

People can be very loyal to both Austins and Beales, and whilst we should be thankful for having them with their huge inventories of roses, neither company offers the best value when ordering, [nor the best customer service in my experience],  and what I do now is when I know the rose I want, I check to see if it is offered elsewhere before I order.  This goes for bare root and container grown roses.   

We should also remember that being in the E.U. we can order freely from the Continent without any restrictions on plant material being imported.  You will find that many Austin roses can be obtained far cheaper, and just as good quality [if not better], from Europe.

As an example, 10 bare root roses ordered direct from David Austin here at £16.50 per rose = £165.00 plus approx £6.00 delivery = £171.00.

If you order from the Dutch supplier Tuincentrum Lottum, you have a good choice of Austin roses at max. 6.50 Euros each [£5.00], so 10 x 5.00 = £50.00 add on £10.50 for delivery charge, plus a likely £10 bank transfer fee for payment, and it still only comes to £70.50.

A saving of £100 on 10 roses.  It pays to shop around.

• Very interesting Marlorena, I've bought from both Austin and Beales and only once from Germany but that was through a friend. I'd not thought of looking elsewhere for Roses and will check out the Dutch supplier you've named. Thanks.

• My sister bought me a Charlotte rose and only had one rose from it in 8 years? thinking of moving it to south facing garden area!
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,977

Do you feed it?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • If you authentic disease resistant ones they are well worth it.  The ones I purchased last year needed next to no treatment against my other cheaper ones.  Will always buy D.A in future