Forum home Plants

David Austin Roses, are they worth it?

Good evening,

I've just been to a nursery, and the price difference between Austin roses and others is £8 (£9.99 - £17.99) for a climbing/rambling rose, is it worth it? Reasons for and against would be appreciated. 

Many thanks,

Sam

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,884

Do you mean roses which have been bred by David Austin as opposed to roses bred by others which David Austin happens to sell? Or do you mean David Austin Roses and other roses as sold in your local garden centre as opposed to David Austin roses and other roses sold by David Austin?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Roses in garden centres, i assume bred by David Austin because they have the David Austin labels etc. 

David Austin roses for sale in garden centres as opposed to David Austin roses for sale by David Austin?

How much faith do you have in the garden centre? Does it look after its products? If so, then buy there. If not, buy elsewhere.

I bought half a dozen roses online (of David Austin's own roses - Gertrude Jekyll etc.) They were bare rooted and it was near the very end of the bare root season. I was not impressed with broken stems and bashed buds and I told them so, without much of an apology, if any, from them.

I have bought "container grown" David Austin roses - Brother Cadfael etc - from my local garden centre. Much better quality. But then the garden centre is family-run and they care about what they sell.

I don't find the so-called "myrrh" scent of David Austin's own roses an attractive smell so I buy very few of their roses. At last count I had 39 varieties but the only DA rose that I really like is Gertrude Jekyll. All the others are from other rose breeders,  bought from a shop where I can see what I am getting.

• The nursery where I work grow David Austin roses under license to David Austin, we are a family business and I think grow exellent roses.

William Shakespeare is a good David Austin rose having said that I find the rose heads on most David Austin roses are so big they are no good for cutting and putting in a vase.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,715

Unless you want to buy a specific rose variety bred by David Austin, I would look around.  I buy my roses from here http://www.classicroses.co.uk/products/roses/

I've bought both bare root and potted roses, ordering online.  They arrive in superb condition in very sturdy packaging. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wonderful,i love roses.i buy them everywhere.image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 17,187

I love David Austin roses, but some are better than others. The very big double flowers tend to droop. Lady Emma Hamilton has been gorgeous, flowered several times, lovely perfume. The Pilgrim climber has been superb, only a light scent though. I find that DA roses need a bit more TLC and water than other roses. Only once have I complained that Malvern Hills arrived in bad condition and they sent me another heaps better one. They do tend to be more expensive than other roses though, it depends what you want.

Dordogne and Norfolk