Forum home Plants

David Austin Roses, are they worth it?

Good evening,

I've just been to a nursery, and the price difference between Austin roses and others is £8 (£9.99 - £17.99) for a climbing/rambling rose, is it worth it? Reasons for and against would be appreciated. 

Many thanks,

Sam

• Roses in garden centres, i assume bred by David Austin because they have the David Austin labels etc. 

• The nursery where I work grow David Austin roses under license to David Austin, we are a family business and I think grow exellent roses.

William Shakespeare is a good David Austin rose having said that I find the rose heads on most David Austin roses are so big they are no good for cutting and putting in a vase.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,858

Unless you want to buy a specific rose variety bred by David Austin, I would look around.  I buy my roses from here http://www.classicroses.co.uk/products/roses/

I've bought both bare root and potted roses, ordering online.  They arrive in superb condition in very sturdy packaging. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• wonderful,i love roses.i buy them everywhere.image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,800

I love David Austin roses, but some are better than others. The very big double flowers tend to droop. Lady Emma Hamilton has been gorgeous, flowered several times, lovely perfume. The Pilgrim climber has been superb, only a light scent though. I find that DA roses need a bit more TLC and water than other roses. Only once have I complained that Malvern Hills arrived in bad condition and they sent me another heaps better one. They do tend to be more expensive than other roses though, it depends what you want.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Thanks again! You lot are so helpful! I'm quite new to gardening and it's nice to have a group to ask questions to, so thanks image
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,629

Sam Jesson,

You will probably find the rambling rose that you were looking for at any number of rose nurseries around the country, supplying them bare root at this time of year.  I have no connection with this company - Trevor Whites -  but would put them above any others I have used - and I've been through most of them including Beales and Austins.   Their roses have thick canes and huge roots.  Postage and packing is about £7.00 and delivery is fairly quick, about a week or so.

http://www.oldroses.co.uk/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=22

Even quicker are Style Roses.  I ordered yesterday and my roses are being delivered tomorrow.

http://www.styleroses.co.uk/buy-plants/2

East Anglia, England
  • Great, has anyone got a recommendation for a single flowered, disease tolerant pink or white rambling or climbing rose? It's for a west facing wall.

Also, I need something to grow in a pot and cover a wall and frame a back window, any roses for that you could recommend? Or a wall shrub?