Forum home Tools and techniques

Garden footwear

It is my birthday shortly and decided i would like some gardening footwear. My garden needs a lot of work this year so i need something robust and waterproof. Usually use old trainers but they are falling apart ! I have seen short wellingtons but not sure if tough enough. Can anybody recommend something ? I would like something with a bit of colour if possible or even flowers on image

• Hi Carol, check out this site  -   http://www.backdoorshoes.co.uk/

I have a pair and find them very useful and comfortable

• They look nice and colourful. Do they stop on ok , i will be spending a lot on time on my knees clearing away the weeds as doing a garden from scratch ?

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,062

Hi carol, OH gave me a pair of those "backdoor shoes" for Christmas because I kept using his but they're really only useful for nipping out into the garden and not when you're properly gardening.

I'm in the same boat as you though - my garden trainers are falling apart and don't keep my feet dry and my wellies aren't very comfortable for gardening.

• I usually use my old trainers for gardening when i have a new pair but dont need any new ones at the moment. What i need is something tough that ideally would go in the washer if needed although i know wellies cant. Perhaps i will go around the garden centres to see what they have, might as well buy some plants while i am there !

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,264

I have bought Muck boots in the past.

http://www.muckbootcompany.co.uk/product/Neoprene-Rubber-Gardening-Boot-sale/WOMENS

Though they may be a bit pricey.

And for the price they wear down remarkably quickly. 

But they were comfy and dry.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Carol - you may be better off thinking about some tough walking boots.  Remember Geoff Hamilton?  He was always in his garden wearing lace-up strong boots, rather like my own walking boots (leather, local shop circa £50).  They are strong, good tread on the soles to prevent slipping, and dry out well.  Mud, once dried, can be brushed off, and a bit of old-fashioned dubbin will keep the leather supple and waterproof.

I have clogs by the back door for popping in and out, but not for serious gardening!

• Whatever i decide to buy has to be quite tough but must admit had not thought of walking boots. will have a good look online to see if any in sales.

• They look fantastic for winter, soggy, cold gardening tasks.  And a very good price while they are on offer, too.  What's not to like?

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,062

Agreed - have just ordered myself a pair before they sell out!