Shockers

Keen 1Keen 1 Posts: 187

Hi . Referring to the comments ref some Campanulas being a menace ( which they can be/.are) I wondered if we might all share a few expereinces about plants we have had "problems" with over our gardening experiences. Should be interesting and might give timely warnings in some cases to potential buyers of them -- bearing in mind as already stated (Fairygirl ack.) that different areas produce different results with different plants. Whatever it would give a caution to possible buyers. as to potential problems. I have had some as no doubt we all have. Worth a go? - I will kick off if yes.

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,221

Off you go!

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...lots of shockers over the years, especially if you're used to having a small-ish garden..

Bluebells.. Spanish and Native -nice as they are in the right place.. you might soon have regrets about these...

Euphorbia 'fireglow' and Phygelius I found tiring after a while, with all the runners coming up everywhere..in fact I now avoid everything that ''spreads by underground runners''...

Wild strawberries - only 7 francs a kilo, as the song goes - but no wonder.

• BerghillBerghill Posts: 2,877

Almost all Alliums, All geraniums, Alchemilla mollis, alpina, erthropoda and another one which I can never remember the name, A shrubby Lonicera with white flowers and red berries, everyone of which has a viable seed which the birds spread everywhere. Elecampine (Inula something or other, Geums, even the named ones,

I could keep going, but if I had the energy to dead head these things..........

Oh and the worst seed thug of all, Aquilegia.

• little-annlittle-ann Posts: 879

i have got rid of fireglow but phygelius not a problem but i wish i hadnt put lily of the valley in.

keep posting keen

True, true...

• Keen 1Keen 1 Posts: 187

Hi. Will leave out the "better known" (now) ones - also lets give Knot Weed a miss - though I never fell for it I have to   say I oftentimes stood and looked at a (masive) clump of it and admired that foliage.   One of the worst I planted in all innocence was a plant which is still readily seen in garden centres - Houttuynia cordata variegata - planted it in a shady rock bed and in no time at all it took over - had to totally dismantle it all and carefully wash all the rocks etc to remove every trace - managed it but never again will that plant ( or its green version) see my garden.

Another was called Geranium stapfianmum Roseum and it was that,  Roseum for sure a shocking pink but with pretty  light and dark foliage of typical family shape. Thing was as I recall its roots were made up of many tiny nodules and these got about everywhere  ( evryone a new plant) - put it in a pot finally to try and keep it out of mischief but still it got around. More to follow including ( when I can remember its a name) a horror called "Flowering Lettuce.

Hi all. Some real seeders there for sure but another ( though I love it to bits) is Fennel - never ever let those flower heads turn to seed and disperse as I did last year, forgot all about it. A lot of folk cut off the flowers as soon as they appear but I like that yellow contrasting with the (in my version) bronze foliage. Easily recognisable these seedlings and I have honestly plucked out hundreds thus far this year - I will not though be deterred from growing it.  I have had some real cracking double flowers from amongst self sown Aqulegias though as Berghill says they do get about.    Ref the Lily of the Valley well I inherited a long bed full of it along the garage wall but kept back by a path so it stays put - have to say i do love that beautiful scent in a small vase or two in the Spring.. It looks good also since theres climbing Roses and Clematis growing on that wall also, the L of V makes a pleasant green carpet under these.

Hi Verdun. yes me likewise -  if I like them well I put them in a decent sized container. heres  a for-instance. The old Physostegia (Obedient plant ) like very much and in my last garden at Colchester it grew as a nice tidy slowly increasing clump - great.   Bought one for this current garden and during last growing season it spread to a good 3 feet across - had a terrible job to disentangle it from its neighbours. All is well now its safely in a pot - yes agreed it is a coarse common shocking pink old plant but I like it.