attracting wildlife

ive taken over an allotment where theres a bath being used as a pond.

Im really keen to attract wildlife and was thinking of stacking a load of stones round the bath for wildlife to hide in.

theres frogs in the bath/pond now any thoughts on what could use as steps to help the tadpoles roam when they become frogs, wood would become slimy and stones would be unsteady/take up to much room

Any help gratefully received

thanks

• I'm finding it really hard to picture a full size bath sunk in the ground, it'll have steep nearly vertical sides, but the frogs must have found a way out before now or else you'd be finding dead ones floating on the surface.  Plants such as water lilies would help them with maybe something floating on the surface and over the edge of the bath. I don't think they'd have a problem with planks of wood but maybe it's just time to experiment, leave a few objects trailing out of the water so they have a choice.  A pic would be useful.  I don't have room for a pond but I've seen common brown frogs a couple of times. Maybe it's time I did make a pond....  I need a new project....

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,535
    What if you could put potted plants around it, I've got big tubs for ponds and that's what I didimage
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,623

Frogs can climb quite well, so maybe hang something like black plastic mesh or galvanised chicken mesh over the side?  If you made a sort of sandwich of spagnum moss (the sort you line hanging baskets with) between two layers of chicken wire, it could look quite attractive and also act as a home for some of the pond fauna.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Allotmenteers' hackles will rise at this but.... globe thistles, Echinops planted or in pots, will bring all the pollinators your crops need. The spiky barrier also acts as a shield against the cats that love to hunt near ponds.

The globe thistle has more diverse insect visitors day and night than any other plant in my garden and that includes lavender, honeysuckle, Mahonia and ivy.

(Ivy is another plant that makes hackles rise but is teeming with wildlife all year round).

MLx