jo47

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,307

It was an innocent question. Sorry if I gave offence to anyone.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I agree David, but only about one of them.

Hope your toe gets better.

Pansy you haven't offended anyone, and I don't think you did either Lizzie. But unfortunately others have offended people.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

Pansy! image

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,250

Completely disagree.

Jo had every reason to be upset, and it is quite reasonable for us to enquire about how she is, and to encourage her to come back.

One of the best things about this forum, is how we try to support each other.

I assume that it is not meant plant pauper, but your post sounds a bit callous.

Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,157

Certain people on here, and on the old Beeb boards, have left several times after making announcements about behaviour/attitudes/standards deteriorating beyond the point of being bearable.  Since they come back and eventually do it again I have to assume it's an ego trip to see how many people beg them to return.

I think the trick, if serious about leaving for whatever reason, is simply to slip away and say nothing.

If someone causes offence here there is the option to ignore them - very useful for the more delicate flowers and those who simply prefer the common courtesies to be observed by other posers.

Sorry for getting my Jo's mixed up.  I can quite understand Jo47 being offended and also understand those who wish to offer support.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

The first part of my post was quoted from David K and the second part, though not intended to be callous, was my opinion. I've known too many people over the years who, in modern parlance, "spit the dummy" only to be coaxed, cajoled and otherwise mollified into attending, staying, going..... etc.

Perhaps, as obelixx says, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, should stop being such delicate flowers and hit the ignore button. That's what it's for.

At the risk of being accused of finger pointing could I just point out that every time there is a discussion like this, it's the same few people involved.  Nuff said!

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Oh David sorry to hear about your toe! What a horribly inconvenient place to get it. Still only a few months til we'll be enjoying the warmer spring temperatures. Can you wrap up warm? I know I am near attached to my hot water bottle to cure my broken bits as as long as I don't let the chill set in I'm not too bad. Mind you: perhaps you could fill your wellies with warm water!

I have a feeling Jo will reappear if she feels the forum of any use. It is so easy for tempers to get frayed, especially when you have personal problems and aren't expecting to see your safe haven of a retreat suddenly full of meat and two veg (I have to confess I didn't even notice they were naked til people commented! Must get a bigger screen to view this site on...) But for some people the forum outgrows its usefulness and it is in fact a release for them to have a reason to leave.

Til then we pull up our socks (or warm water filled wellingtons) and keep the place ticking along til our friends, new or old, arrive.

Anyone for a mug of tea?

• Awww, Lily & Clarington....bless you, although you must have known there was an element of tongue in cheek in my post. Having said that, it is basically true, although it gives me no significant problem in my day to day life.

A mug of tea sounds good to me.....cheers! image   

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,864

Just having a mug of tea, thanks Clari!

Sorry about your toe, David. I know how it feels, I have a toe like that too, left one.

I am far too curious a person to click on an ignore buttonimage

You sound a lovely, caring person, punkdoc.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,703

What are warm water filled wellies? Sounds nice, like a water bed, or is it when you're paddling around in the soggy wet garden and the water overflows in your wellies and naturally warms up? 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.