Dierama 'Cosmos'

Good afternoon to all

After bying my first ever Gardening Magazine I was inspired to buy some flowers so I've bought two Helenium 'Sahin's Early' plants from a internet garden centure.

Never again as the plants look very poorly with sun damage from watering in the hot afternoon sun. So after a day or two of looking at the poor plants with there brown burnt leaves I decided to keep them what do I have to lose well I potted them in to a bigger pot as the only arrived in a small 5 cm square pot. Yes they are also pot bound.

so I mixed some general purpose compost and some blood,fish and bone meal to the mix.

Have I done the right thing ??

also the reason I've posted is I also bought the Dierama 'Cosmos' all I can say is it was inpulse buying as I don't have a pond or marshy soil in fact I have the hardest dryish clay you would hope to never have/own.

anyway I would like to keep this plant and grow it in a pot if thats possible if it's possible what would you suggest I do about soil/compost 

green reader of Garderners world 

O'and I've bought a 12 month subscription to GW great read 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,056

re the poorly ones James. Don't over feed the sick, let them recover slowly. 

I don't think Dierama needs marshy soil it looks nice by ponds but is grown on dry land

• Thank you Nutcutlet for the quick sugestions

so would you just pot up in general purpose compost ??

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,056

That's what I'd do and water but don't over water because they can't cope with that and drown

• With the dierama, I have them growing in probably the hottest bed I have! They didn't flower the first year, so I was contemplating moving them somewhere cooler, but then the plant produced a flowering stem last year, and about six this year! I do wonder if they were in a shadier spot the flowers might last a little longer?

• OK I have put the Heleniums in a bigger pot and then placed them in a larger patio pot and also added some bedding plants along side them just so I can see if the enverioment it ok the pot is in a shaded part of the garden. The area i've placed them only gets the sun for around 4 to 5 hours ie they are in the shade from around 10.00 am.

I have read some where that moved Dierama are quite fussy and may not flower for the first two or three years until.

• I'll not move them now they have floweredimage Most stems were a pale lilac but one was a burgundy colour, lovely!