Forum home Plants

Germinating holly berries/seeds

I have some holly berries from my mum's garden and want to have a go at germinating them. On the net I found various methods which include putting them in the fridge for at least a few months, but some suggest removing the pulpy bit of the berry and others say to put the whole berry in the fridge.

I guess I could also just plant them in pots and leave them outside for the rest of the winter instead? I assume that's how they germinate in the wild...

If anyone has ever tried either technique or any other for that matter, please let me know!

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

If you sow them untreated in the pot they can take 18 months to germinate.  A lot quicker if they pass through a bird's digestive system, not that that helps, but I would suggest removing the pulp and scarifying the surface of the seed [ replicate birds gizzard] before chilling in freezer afor a few days and then sowing them.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,569

I've never bothered with messing around. I sow them whole, in pots and leave them outside to germinate in their own time.  

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

I'd love to have a go at this too. Carol Kline did it on one of her progs. I think that Carol put dirt in a bag with the berry and put it in the fridge first. 

• Yes, one of the things I read was to put them in a little bit of sand before putting them in the fridge.

I think I'll try a few different methods, with and without the use of a fridge/freezer and see what happens.

My ambition increased somewhat after successfully growing an avocado plant from an avocado I got from the supermarket - it took almost a year before the first leaf came through though image