Forum home Tools and techniques

Mulching & compost

Hi there - as the name says, I am very new to this gardening game, so all help gratefully received!

I have recently moved into a house with a large established garden, albeit a little overgrown. As part of the garden fixtures were two large composting bins, full to the brim - but with what looks like pretty much mostly lawn cuttings. As I know nothing about composting, do I need to get rid of these and start again, assuming that these won't compost down properly?

Secondly, we had a problem ash tree felled and the stump ground. I'm now left with a enormous pile of stump grinds (for want of a better word!) Can these be used for mulching, or does it need to be bark chippings / compost etc?

Thanks so much!

• maureen60maureen60 Posts: 193
    Hi KBG

You could add brown matter, eg wet cardboard , twiggy pruning so. Compost should be turned frequently, as the middle will be warmer, and rot down quicker.

You can compost all vegetable peelings, paper.

Not cooked food or meat.

Your own produced compost us great for the garden.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,616

Mix the shreddings with the lawn cuttings, it should help both rot better.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,979

You might find it best to empty everything out the bins and then return it to the bins with the shreddings and more dry, brown matter,as maureen has suggested. That way, you can get everything well mixed and ready to break down better over the next few months image

A good workout for a chilly winter's day!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks everyone for the good advice - sounds like a way to burn off the Christmas flab!