Some random questions....

TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

hello

a few questions if I may, that I hope aren't too silly or tedious!

firstly, we've had the wood burner on a lot over Christmas and my other half has been putting the wood ash on to my raised beds for me to dig in. Is this a good thing to do? Is this 'potash'? Is potash the same as sulphate of potash?

last year I left in the roots of the runner beans and was advised to dig them in - I can't remember why! Does anyone know please?

we've been invited to take manure from the nice lady that keeps her horses in a field near our house. If I put this in the raised beds now, will it be too 'fresh' when it comes to planting later in the year please?

Is it ok to plant potatoes in the same raised bed that I used last year or should the choice of crop be changed?

ive started some ami majus off in the green house and they are going great guns, but today some of the leaves were frozen and stuck to the greenhouse glass. Will they survive in an unheated greenhouse over winter?

i also planted some lupin seeds that have germinated and are now a couple of inches tall. Will they survive winter in a unheated greenhouse or should I bring them I doors?

whats the different purposes of nitrogen, sulphate of potash and phostrogen please? Do they conflict with each other?

thanks for any answers!

Toots

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,251

Wood ash can be added to the compost heap or spread on the earth and raked or lightly dug in. It can be a natural source of potassium and trace elements, but it's alkali so don't use for acid loving plants. Good for brassicas, helps prevent club root.

The roots of peas and beans have little white nodules on them which contain nitrogen, but it doesn't last forever. I dig them in though.

I would put the manure in a pile and leave it to rot. When it is dark and crumbly then it is a good fertiliser and soil conditioner.

Potatoes shouldn't be planted in the same place because of the risk of blight and diseases.

Lupins are hardy, but baby ones would be best in the cold greenhouse over winter, which would also protect them from slugs and snails.

I would look up nitrogen etc on Google, bit techie for me!

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Hi Tootles nitrogen is for the leaves of a plant and make it grow leaves, potash is for the flowers and fruit.I don't know about the other one image
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Thanks ever so much Busy-Lizzie. Really helpful as always. 

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Thanks Logan. I must write these things down. I have quite a bit of memory loss so have resorted to my trustee journal to make lots of notes that I can refer back to. 

• cornellycornelly Posts: 818

Phosphates for root structure.