New Year's Day 2016 Flower Count

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,984

I don't think Worcester's is V. tinus

Might be a photinia, (not Red Robin), not sure though, not one I grow

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 5,269

Ok Nut - you could well be right...

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

we need a third opinionimage

• Bit of a frost this morning, and a cold wind, but this is my list:

Hellebores (foetidus, orientalis & ericsmithii)

Primulas acaulis & sibthorpii

Pulmonaria, Bellis, Periwinkle, Pansy, White Lithodora, Arabis, Geum Mai Tai, Erysimum, Winter jasmine, Viburnum bodnantense, Roses Gardener's Glory and For Your Eyes Only (strictly speaking these were buds, but there would have been flowers out too, if they hadn't been battered to a pulp by Frank- the bruised petals remain!) and red campion.

Buds showing colour on Daphne Mezereon and white narcissi, well developed on Skimmia and Rhodo Wren, too well developed on magnolias, fear I shall lose them all. And Flumpy, I've got pics of most of mine, I like to keep a record of progress in the garden on the first of every month, good for motivation!

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,639

We had severe frosts in October which seemed to send a lot of plants to sleep, so I don't have much out.

Winter Honeysuckle, pansies, violas, a couple of polyanthus in flower. My Daphne died in the hot summer.              SW France.

Dordogne and Norfolk

Where are you Tetley? I didn't think sophoras were very hardy.

If they are I'ill have to find room for oneimage

• maureen60maureen60 Posts: 194
    Hello everyone, greetings from Manchester, it was cold and frosty first thing this morning.

My flower count is Hellebores, Primrose and another plant which I don't know the name of.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,876

Nothing out of the ordinary here, except the hardy fuchsia that is still usually blooming at christmas isn't.

I only have the same as usual, the usual winte flowering shrubs,  rubra pulmanaria  and primroses. I always make sure I plant my bulbs deep enough so only have an inch or so showing. 

Three frosts so far and lots of wind damage.

it was only a few years ago I couldn't get my Christmas shopping done for snow. OH had a day off work in case I got the car stuck, then we had to abandon it at the bottom of the lane and carry the shopping.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

wimagew, I like that. I can't help it Tetley. It's how I know the plants, I'd have to spend half a day with google to find other names.

Maybe Peterborough is colder than Kent, being further north. and sheltered corners? You don't get many of those in the fens.

Is that a definite on the photinia? I don't grow any

• flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,114

This is all that's flowering in my garden image I think it's call viola, correct me if I'm wrong still learning image