New Year's Day 2016 Flower Count

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,075

Thought I'd start this thread to remind us that tomorrow we have to go out into the garden with our notebook and record all flowers in bloom on New Year's Day. image

If your plans for this evening mean you're going to need it in order to function image, remember to stock up on coffee and paracetamol today image 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,346

Will be a pretty long and unusual list for me this year - this winter is certainly a rum 'unimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,279

do I have to count all the flowers in the hotel garden? image

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,075

Yes Hosta!  It will add to your enjoyment of the holiday to know that you're making us very jealous - photos will be expected image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,020

I'm readyimage

• Sounds like a plan! Here's hoping my new Garden Notebook for 2016 arrives today like planned image

That's the whole point Verdun - comparison year by year image

I think you'll need a bigger piece of paper than I will image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,020

A colder night may well change things Verdunimage We expect our first real frost tonight.

I've been doing a count for many years, it's very variable, anything from 6 (only the larger shrubs showed above the snow), to 40 something. It will be interesting to see the results. I have many flowers out that have never before flowered on NYD, but a quick glance suggests fewer left-overs from summer. 

For us it's not a competition to see how many we can get, it's a year by year comparison on the same date every year. It makes an interesting study.