Forum home Plants

can anyone identify this evergreen please?

Hi there - very newbie gardener so apologies if this is a very obvious question!

I bought this plant ages ago and it was in a pot for a couple of years - I've just moved somewhere with a lovely garden and so have been able to plant it out. I've seen lots of these in neighbours' gardens, fully grown into lovely large 5 /6 feet high evergreen shrubs, and would like to buy another one - but I don't remember what it is! Searching online nurseries hasn't thrown up any light - can anyone help please?

Many thanks!

• (sorry it's sideways, when I uploaded it, it was the right way up!)

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,404

It looks like a Pieris keenbg - can't enlarge it well enough though. It looks a bit sickly though - what is your soil like?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks - I think it might be the pic, it looks much healthier in real life! Well drained light soil.

They don't like alkaline soil, so as long as it's neutral to acidic it'll be fine. If the soil's very light and free draining you might want to add some manure to give the soil a bit more oomph. They do best with a bit of shade  image

• Thanks! It's in a semi shaded spot image I can't find that name by googling - is there a common name to search on, or maybe a typo? Cheers!

Definitely Pieris - it'll bring up something like japonica after it. There are a few common varieties like Mountain Fire and Forest Flame  image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,665

google pieris japonica, I've just got it up.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,481
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you! Christmas brain drain image