A few more "what are these" photos

Hi all

as promised, having been so helpful in identifying the hedging plants in our new garden, I'm now going to ask for your help with the herbaceous/border stuff. This is mostly in the "front" garden. I say "front" because the house is in one corner of a square plot so front and back are all one garden space, but this is the bit accessed from the front door, extending as far as the bridge over the pond. Thecatsfather and I also have built a gate and the start of a fence, so Daisy Doglet can be in the back garden and postie (for example) can still safely get to the front door image:

But I digress image

Behind me in the pic you can see the "front" garden. There's a beautiful acer, an interesting tamarisk (which you guys identified), an overgrown ilex (which may go), hostas, a couple of elders, a rose (which I found being strangled by brambles, cut everything away and found just one 6ft long rose stem striving to reach light and air, and which threw out a lovely bloom 10 days later image). Lots of hypericum, irises in the pond, a geranium, and several other herbaceousy/shrubby things which I don't know what they are. So, here you go!

1) floppy, about 2ft tall (may have been hacked back by thecatsfather so may not be showing usual flowers etc)

2) near pond, so presumably moisture-loving

3) quite big. In a prominent position so presumably a desireable plant (one pic taken mid June, second taken last week where it's started to wilt a bit)

4) about 3ft tall (2 pics)

Thanks peeps image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,245

2 astilbe just starting to flower.

3 tree peony. If it flowered in May /june it may have seed pods on now?

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,221

1 is some sort of achillea, I think.

2 is an astilbe

3 is a tree peony, I think.

4 dunno.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,244

Might 1. be one of those multi-divided leaf ferns?

and 4 a spirea of some sort.

Agree fidgetbones and waterbutts on the other 2

• PeterE17PeterE17 Posts: 129

4 - possibly some kind of spiraea.

• PeterE17PeterE17 Posts: 129

NutC you just beat me!

must be right if we both think so Peter.

• addictaddict Posts: 659

4 looks like that horrible suckering everywhere spirea and I think the tree paeonia is lutea. The flowers are not as showy as the others but the leaves are much prettier. 1 looks like fern to me too. Nice to see you btw thecatsmother image

• Ooh you see this is where I am dim image. I'm used to small plants (previous garden was 15ft x 45ft so I picked small stuff and kept everything small). I actually have an astilbe in a container, but cos it's so much smaller than  this one I didn't notice the similarities, d'oh!

achillea looks to be a distinct possibility. I'll look forward to seeing tree peony in bloom  next spring (yes there are big seed pod things on it). And spirea japonica (apt in a Japanese themed garden) Little Princess looks a likely candidate.

Oops! Forgot one last pic to identify please - these are about 4ft tall

Looks like japanese anemone or on of the anemones.

Cant see number one as an achillea though, growth style all wrong

• And ps you might quite possibly all be right re plant 1 (i.e. either fern or achillea) - from Googling it looks possibly like fernleaf achillea (filipendulina) image