Forum home Talkback

Beginner looking for tips

Natalie LNatalie L Posts: 125

Hi all I bought a house this year and moved in in july, I quickly got in the garden and got things tidy. Ive never done gardening before except from helping at home as a kid. I want my garden to look the best it can and I love bright colours. I bought myself a few pots which lasted well into October. I also planted some pansies and it was soon looking much better. I also planted a few pots myself and a little hanging basket. I did a bit of research and decided to have a go at planting some bulbs, I got them planted in October. I planted daffodils, alliums and tulips. The dafs are starting to come up now. I bought 2 hyacinths today, they are dying and the garden centre advised me to let them dry out and die and then plant them 10cm down and they'll come back in spring. They should of been £5 each but were £2 each to clear. Any tips on those? I also bought a few cyclamens, I'm hoping to put those in tubs outside, the lady thought they'd be ok outside under the window due to our mild winter, any tips? I have a cyclamen that's drooping and dying off a bit, i got it in October and it's on the window sill. Any ideas? When I water it it tends to let out the water as if it doesn't want it and seems to be quite wet. I've got an empty shed in my garden, any ideas what I could use it for? It has a climber type wooden trellis on the front, any recommendations on what plant would be best for it? Thanks everyone. At the moment I pay someone to cut my grass as I've not managed to afford a mower yet, I've got a few basics but that's all so far. Natalie aged 25 in a Preston

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,942

Afraid you lost two quid on the hyacinths. They wont flower again this spring.

Do you know what type of cyclamen they are? There are indoor and outdoor sorts.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

• Hi im not sure what type of cyclamen they are, the lady seemed to think the hyacinth would definitely come back, will they not at all? I will of course add some pics of my garden 

• Here are a few before pics 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,942

The hyacinths will die down to a bulb and if planted outside, may flower again in 2017, but will not flower again in spring 2016

The cyclamen look like the african type used as house plants. Keep them on the dry side. They will not survive outside.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3