Forum home Talkback

virginia creeper

fran6fran6 Posts: 3

Can Virginia creeper be grown in a pot to spread on a wall measuring approx 9ftx12ft ? How big should the pot be ?, and when can you plant ?.

• addictaddict Posts: 659

image Never tried but probably not. It wants to be 50/60ft height and width don/t know if you could keep it to a 9ft wall. Go away on holiday for a couple of weeks and it will be rampaging over the next doors garden lol. The roots don't go that deep...a couple of foot maybe so pot wouldn't be a problem its just the size you want to keep it to. Do you want suggestions for anything else perhaps thats not so vigorous? image

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,214

Have a look at Wikipedia's entry for Virginia creeper - go to the "more images" section and then decide. As you can see, Virginia is a big place and has creepers to matchimage

• addictaddict Posts: 659

LOL waterbutts. image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,507

Very  good WB image

I've got a nice little pot of Boston Ivy which I grew from a scrap that had come off the wall at work. Was surprised it rooted and I'm going to use it on some of the ugly fence I have here. Apparently it's not quite so headstrong. They look pretty much the same and you get the lovely Autumn colour too of course.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....