Forum home Problem solving

How to make Viburum "Eve Price" flower

Our Viburnum "Eve Price" has stopped flowering. It is 18 years old and 5 feet high. I tried giving it a hard prune but no luck. It is growing well and I restrict it`s size with a light pruning in early spring. Do I give up and replace it?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,157

I wonder if you're cutting off the potential flowering points with the light prune in spring.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I didn`t prune at all for a few years after I cut it back to 2 feet high and it still did not flower. Thank you for your suggestion - I will not to prune it this spring, although it may get bigger than I would like, and see what happens next winter.

It was just a thought Tom,  the tiny buds start forming very early. See what other people thinkimage

• It is growing well - foliage is a lovely dark green. I don`t feed it normally but will try a couple of tomato liquid feeds as you suggest - thanks. 

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601

My experience is that viburnum take a check on flowering after hard pruning. Verdun knows an awful lot more than me but, given your problem, I would experiment with pruning just after flowering and perhaps limiting it to every second or third year.

Mine have never reacted well to the chop.

I think I'd dump it and get something else or a small cultivar of V. tinus if there is one.