Forum home Wildlife gardening

How much bird food do burds eat a day?

A while ago I put up a bird feeder (sunflower hearts) its been a huge success, I've seen a huge increase of birds in the garden, the birds can easily get through about 400grams a day, is this a lot or is it about average for song birds?    Thank you

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,198

It just depends how many different birds come in, and how much available food there is in the area Chris.  If no one else around you is putting out food, they'll quickly learn that your restaurant is the hot spot! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,145

I get through six fat balls, two suet blocis, half a feeder of peanuts, two feeders of mixed seeds, one lg slice of granary bread, four slices of mild cheddar and the chopped skin from a chicken leg every day.

As the only house around for miles I think the whole bird populationn of Darmoor congregates here.image

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,258

Hee hee, you haven't seen the half of it.

My OH buys a 20kg sack of songbird mix, a 10 kg bag of peanuts, a 20 kg sack of sunflower hearts a dozen fat cylinders and half a dozen fat blocks every fortnight.

I spend my time chasing the pigeons and pheasants off my flowers and veg. 

A slight cause of marital strife at times.

Oh yes, and Lyn just reminded me about the old bread and porridge too.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  •  

It's a hanging feeder so I know for a fact that pigeons, magpies etc are not stealing all the food, the birds I get are mostly gold finches, tits and I know the Robbin enjoys it. 

• mollismollis Posts: 150

Yep agree with above... loads of birds visiting here and can polish off loads of fat balls just in a day or two.. The peanuts last a bit longer as they peck at the feeders., but the seed can be emptied in a day... Yes costs a bit but so much pleasure given watching them. image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,583

It depends on the season.    I buy a 25kilo bag of mixed seed and a 15 kilo bag of peanuts and bags of 25 fat balls at a time as well as slabs of fat and fruit or fat and mealworms or fat and insect mix.   It goes faster in winter and spring than it does in summer and autumn.  

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286

They're not taking much food here at the moment - there's plenty of wild food about and the weather's mild - as soon as the temperatures drop and the birds need high energy food to help them keep warm and survive they'll be eating me out of house and home.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• 20kg sack of sunflower seeds every fortnight. I often get 40 small birds on my feeders at one time. 

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Hi all I buy mine from the Reallywildbirdfood. co They grow a lot themselves so it's cheaper but still good qualityimage
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,145
    Amazon sell a very good line of fat balls, 100 for 11.99 and the suet blocks are 7.99 for 10 the birds love them.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.