Forum home Talkback

Floods in the NW

Have just managed to contact my sister in Todmorden ( W Yorkshire ).....luckily only her cellar is flooded but wondered whether anyone had heard from Liriodendron ?  I know she is in that part of the world.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,786

no, sorry. I do hope she's ok.

Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,367

I think she is in that area philippa. I have her email address, but if she has no power it won't be much good. I'm sure she'd have posted if she did. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pauline......glad you are ok............the news from that area just didn't look too goodimage

Fairy...........will PM youimage

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,876

We had planned to drive up to Scotland from the West of England on Boxing Day.  Thankfully I believed the weather forecasts and cancelled the trip.  We would have been driving right through the middle of Lancashire & Cumbria during the worst of the weather.

All we've had is a disappointment from not meeting up with relatives.  For those living through it 2 or even 3 times in a month is must be totally soul destroying.

• flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,114

Phillipa my brother took these photos yesterday in Heywood Park and River Roche............

This is normally all grass and nice park paths

This is the cricket ground and park lake all merged into one

river Roche and stream all merged 

Crumble old mill, water as been switched off today because they where fixing pipes 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,662

I live in East Lancashire, Fortunately for myself I live on a hill. I thought it was a normal rainy day. At the bottom of the valley is the River Irwell it starts a 2-3 miles up the road. 

The river Irwell must of rose at least 15ft easy,  it normally below knee high. I never see it so high a few more feet and it would of totally flooded the town centre which already had a new river down the main road. It did break its bank further up and down. It was quite frightening just looking at the river how fast it was flowing and the noise. 

A few houses have been flooded but nowhere near as bad as other places. Surprised how quick the water level dropped when it stopped raining for a bit.