Thorny prickly fast growing bush

Hi all, first post so please be gentle.

I've got a need for a long run of hedge, but it also needs to be a burglar deterrent too.  Probably about 40m.

So I'm thinking Pyrantha, but wondered if there was anything else out there which was faster growing but equally as thorny!

Thanks in advance

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,217

Forty metres is quite a length;  do you also have the space for a double thickness of plants?  That would help.

Blackthorn are quick to grow and have the added benefit of sloes in autumn. Hawthorn is prickly. Holly comes in various degrees of spikiness. Pyracantha is good, yes. Berberis has nice flowers. Mahonia are very prickly.

A mix is good.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hi thanks for the reply, yes I do have space for double thickness.   Because it is such a long length I was wanting to keep the costs low as I know I'm going to need a lot!

Sorry to be specific with my needs, but I need something fast growing, prickly and relatively cheap image It doesn't really matter how nice it looks as it cannot be seen by anyone really. 

• Well you can see my favourite hedge and yes it's spiky but like pyracantha quince is not a quick fix.  Could you start with a wire-netting fence then add shrubs that you will enjoy or will benefit the wildlife, eg pyracantha.  Holly is good but also slow-growing.  Beech is fairly solid and reasonably quick I think with lovely winter colour as it doesn't lose its browned leaves till the next ones are coming through.  Whatever you choose you can get bare-root shrubs for best value towards the end of the year but the down-side is persuading yourself to cut them back by 2/3 or just to over-plant if you want a tight hedge.  Good luck.   

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,217

http://www.chewvalleytrees.co.uk/products/detail/prunus-spinosa/1

A double thickness was just an idea for the more determined burglars.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,428

We planted a hawthorn hedge 13 years ago using single whips.   We planted them in December in good soil improved with compost and pruned each whip back to 9".   They grew 6' in their first year and were then pruned back to 3' in late winter to encourage them to bush out.  

They grew 6' again and have been pruned and shaped each autumn and now make a handsome 7' high hedge about 6' thick.  We could keep it thinner but the other side is arable fields so space is not a problem.   It's a useful windbreak and provides shelter and food for birds and insects.   It is very thorny.

At the same time I planted a pyracantha hedge in another part of the garden but it suffered badly in severe winters and half the plants died and the ones that have survived have needed the last 3 mild winters to start looking bonny again.

The holly hedge also suffered in severe winters and, to add insult to injury, the cows in the pasture on that side chomped all the tender new shoots so we had a short, fat holly hedge until I erected a mesh fence to keep them off it and let it grow taller.   

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,428

Hi Jo.  We planted ours about a foot apart.  We've lost 2 since - victims of a farmer reversing his trailer into them when harvesting but you can only tell when you look at the base.   The branches of the others have filled the spaces.

I like the look of the bare branches in winter, especially when glistening with rain drops or twinkling with frost or just a lacy filigree with blue sky behind.  Our sparrow colony uses them as a conference centre and also as a bolt hole when the sparrowhawk dives.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,149

I used Blackthorn at the front jo - the webs on it are gorgeous too image

Mine are spaced around the same distance as obelixx says.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hi Audi321, Just happened to be in a local garden centre this afternoon and just happened to come across the hedging plants, and noticed the useful labels on them, saying that Hazel Alder and Privet grow fast, Blackthorn Hawthorn and Pyracantha grow at a medium rate, and Beech at a slow rate.  They were in packs of 10 varying from £13.99 to £15.99 per pack.  So it's just going to depend on what is most important, speed, thorniness, price.... lots to think about.  Blackberry would be impenetrable but take many years to achieve a compelling height?? Razor wire would be pretty quick and fairly efficient at keeping out burglars and other scumbags!!   

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,149

Mine hasn't - so far! It's bounded by pavement and a concrete path,  with grass on the inside, so it'll always get mown. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....