Christmas Present Fail

So...another year and another (disappointingly small) crop of gifts, not one of which is a pair of Felco secateurs! For weeks I have been dropping hints. You know, 'accidentally' leaving my old pair of generic secateurs outside and declaring them ruined.  Pointing to adverts. Reading out an article which said you need 2 pairs of secateurs per garden. Still nobody takes the hint.

Have your presents set you up for the new gardening season?

• flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,114

You will have to write a christmas list next year, that should drop a big hint image.

i did hint at Garden centre vouchers, but I didn't get any image, not being ungrateful tho image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,565

Frankie, hints are no good .......... you have to ISSUE INSTRUCTIONS!!!  image 

My lot have been trained over the years - vouchers are the way to go - I have received National Gardening Vouchers and some of those rectangular printed ones with a picture of the Queen on the front with a note that these are also 'Gardening Vouchers' and I have also received a beautifully drawn voucher stating that I can cash it in for a specified number of hours of labour from my Under Gardener image

Another family member knows that I always welcome Amaryllis bulbs and has supplied accordingly image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Can you write a list with just 3 things on it? I sympathise Flumpy, the last time I asked for Garden centre vouchers (for a leaving present) I ended up with Theatre vouchers. Still to be used. If they had been Garden centre vouchers they would have been used up the next week. 

• It's very easy to sound ungrateful but really?? Have these people ever met me???

After 150 years worth of unappetising gifts I made the announcement "do not buy me anything!" I spend 364 days of the year avoiding shops and thanks to their kindness I have to spend the week after Christmas going round taking "stuff" (polite term) back. I don't need it, I don't want it, it doesn't fit me, I've never bought one because I don't see the point, I hate my place full of "stuff" (polite term denoting different word)!

It worked! I got a few wee bits and peces of useful stuff and money because, apparently "there's no pleasing me". Yes there is! I'm pleased now!!!!! Hurrah!

Grumpy old goat? Moi?

• hehe! I found that writing lists, no matter how short, still didn't work!
    In the end this year I bought my own presents and told the other half to wrap them and I'd pretend I didn't know what they were lol 

• Dove, you appear to have trained your family well. 

My under gardener would never give me a voucher for hours of labour. My under gardener is more of an occasional labourer, under protest. My UG doesn't even merit a humorous mug with Under Gardener written on it.

• Ha! Plant Pauper! You hit the nail on the head!

'Have these people ever met me???'

You really do wonder who they think they've been living with for the past umpty years...

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,914

I went down the route of, I'm not buying anything for,anyone over 18. Please spend the money you would have spent on me, on yourself. I only buy for children now. It cuts out a load of stress and upset.

I have only got to train the new in laws now. Plastic eco recycled flimsy bird feeders last about ten seconds with the squirrels in my garden. My birds are as fussy as me. They wont eat cheap bird food full of wheat. Leaving the price tags on  means I know that they have totally wasted over twenty quid, and it would have bought one good metal yankee droll seed feeder.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Little seedlings - I can't bear to do that. I just can't, I keep thinking that leaving those little A5 catalogues around with bits circled should be enough. I am a good buyer myself. The Boy is very happy with his present haul. He will be glued to his XBox One for the rest of the festive season, at least. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,914

I think the final straw was the selection of teas that my sister bought me. I know she only lived with me for twenty years or so, but you'd think that she would know that I haven't drunk tea since I was four.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3