Forum home Tools and techniques

Support for a single grapevine

I would like to plant a grapevine on my allotment, probably the Fragola variety. I read that you should leave 1.2 m between plants in a row, but as I only want to plant one, does it mean that it only needs supports 60 cm on either side? I'm planning to use three posts, one to support the plant itself and two on the sides, so as to be able to attach the supporting wires to them. But 60 cm seems like a very short distance. What would you suggest?

How much space should I leave in the other direction, between the grape vine and the next row of plants?

Also, what kind of shade is the plant going to cast? Dappled shade? If I plant lavender about 60 cm from it on the east side (the grape vine is going to grow in the north-south direction), would that be too close?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,236
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,265

Vines will grow as large as you let them once mature, Aster2.  Mine grows 2.5m up the side of an arch then 2m across it before turning 90 degrees and growing 10m along the top of trellis (but it is at least 40 years old!)  Having said that I grow it for the foliage (although it does produce grapes) but restricting vines by proper pruning will make them more productive, fruit-wise. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,236
    jo47 wrote (see)

What a fabulous site Dove ......... a few things on there I'll be delving into today image

And I've had some really good quality plants from them too image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

Thanks for the link, Dove, that's very helpful. I'd been googling for several hours but didn't think of this site - even though I have three trees from them! (They are lovely and I am absolutely convinced they'd grown even though I planted them only in mid-November.)

Bob, thanks for the advice. That's some vine you've got! How deep is the shade it casts?