Bee hotel full!

Our garden bee hotel was a hive of activity a few weeks ago with bees collecting dirt and filling up the garden canes?  all canes are stuffed with dirt - what happens now?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,252

there should be an egg in there with a supply of pollen for food. they will hatch next year

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • FoolioFoolio Posts: 80

Great thanks!! do all bees do this? are they regular bumbles?

solitary bees do this. Bumble bees tend to have communal  nests in the ground. Tree bumbles have communal  nests in trees or bird boxes. They are all good pollinators.

Fabulous thats great to know - thank you.  The bee hotel has me really interested in the bees this year.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,569
    Rasp you perhaps need to get an annex next year and charge a bit more for the holiday season

Alan
  • I attached a bee/insect house to the house wall in March this year. Its about 6 feet up on a south facing wall. There's no activity apart from some curious spiders - will it be awhile till bees take residence?

A south facing wall might be too hot.

My hotel faces south but tilts slightly downwards to stop rain flooding- anything above 3ft should work!!  Maybe pop a planter underneath full of pollen producing plants to encourage!! 

Alan - you could bee on to something there!!!! Ha 

• Mike160304Mike160304 Posts: 53

E- to SE-facing on my fence, over flowers, 5 foot high, works for me.. Could be lower too.  Canes 4"-6" long.  Most popular internal diameter has been from 8 to 9.5 mm.

But cane "houses" don't seem to be necessary (though they are fun) -  see these 2 current threads:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/wildlife-gardening/leaf-cutting-bee-help-urgent/88171.html

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/wildlife-gardening/helping-solitary-bees---will-they-all-nest-in-flower-pots/89210.html

Good luck,

Mike

Very interesting Mike,  thanks