Growing Narcissus

Listening to Farming Today this morning ......from a Narcissus grower in the Scillies........... and was intrigued to hear the following.......

They cover the bulbs in the ground with plastic ( I can understand that for forcing growth ) but then light a little fire using straw at the end of each row so that the smoke is forced over the bulbs.  Is it to release carbon dioxide ?  I was half asleep so cannot say whether I missed the bit which said at which stage of growth this was done or whether they just assumed I would knowimage.  Not that I can be bothered to replicate this but wondered if anyone has any other explanation ?

• Thanks Jo............it didn't occur to me that the smoke produced ethylene.  I've used ripe bananas to help ripen tomatoes but I didn't connect this with that.

So does it matter what you burn as such ?  I mean green as opposed to coal, gas, etc. or is ethylene a component of all smoke ?  I'm not too well up on this as you can tellimage

• Thanks again Jo............this Christmas has at least shed some enlightenment on an interesting subject...........as opposed to what perfume I should buy, what clothes I MUST have and, of course, not forgetting the endless bloody sofas I need to buy image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,872

You mean you haven't bought a new sofa - delivered in time for Christmas Day? Are you mad?....image image

This morning, among all the 'sale' adverts,  was one for...head lice.

I laughed out loud image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• They are selling head lice Fairy ?  I know I was asking about PC diets but that is ridiculous.image  Stuffed Lice ?  What exactly is small enough to stuff a lice with I wonder ? 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,872

philippa smith2 wrote (see)

They are selling head lice Fairy ?  I know I was asking about PC diets but that is ridiculous.image  Stuffed Lice ?  What exactly is small enough to stuff a lice with I wonder ? 

A gnat's chuff philippa image

I should have said a 'remedy' for head lice of course...you cheeky mares image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....