Great Christmas plant ideas that don't quite work out

I bought 2 bulbs a few weeks ago, same packaging, same size bulbs.  I have put them in identical pots, watered them simultaneously, they've had the same amount of sunlight.  The idea was to place them in perfect symmetrical order either side of a cabinet.  However, one is 12 inches tall and the other one is a huge 4 feet tall with the largest flowers I have ever seen.  I think the large one must be a cuckoo trying to fool everyone into thinking it is a normal plant.  

Most bizarre but very beautiful…..

Merry Christmas everyone.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,414

I often wonder how many bulbs Sarah Raven must plant and keep 'out the back' in order to have the perfectly matched displays in her catalogue and on the website image

Merry Christmas Pottering girl image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

You could always put them behind bars. Lewisham police kettled theirs to keep it out of mischief.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Just take your shears to the tall one. Cut it back so they're the same height. Job's a good'un. image

• pottering girl wrote (see)

I bought 2 bulbs a few weeks ago, same packaging, same size bulbs.  I have put them in identical pots, watered them simultaneously, they've had the same amount of sunlight.  The idea was to place them in perfect symmetrical order either side of a cabinet.  However, one is 12 inches tall and the other one is a huge 4 feet tall with the largest flowers I have ever seen.  I think the large one must be a cuckoo trying to fool everyone into thinking it is a normal plant.  

Most bizarre but very beautiful…..

Merry Christmas everyone.

I'll see you those and raise you my two bulbs. One is two feet tall with four flower spikes and five flowers in each, the other is five inches tall with one flower... image

• OK you win, I have one stem with 4 flowers on each.  4 flower spikes and 5 flowers on each sounds fantastic.  

• I was more proud of my five incher!

I've spent a lot of effort keeping the mega flowered one upright. It has fallen over several times despite being in a heavy pot!!