Forum home Wildlife gardening

Is it a Robin?

I have a small bird visiting the feeder with the sunflower hearts. It is just like the robin (who also likes the sunflower hearts). It is just like the robin the way it twitches and bobs and is the same shade of brown and size as a robin but has no sign of any red feathers. Is it a robin?  What else could it be?  I see it regularly. Many thanks, Mags

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,237

My guess is that it's a dunnock aka hedge sparrow - have a look at the video on here http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdguide/name/d/dunnock/index.aspx

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks very much Dovefromabove.  That's what it is.   I thought Dunnocks are ground feeders only so I am wrong    about that!  Best wishes of the Season, Mags

Well they do tend to feed on the ground, but they are passerines (perching birds) and I've seen them venture onto feeders if they feel confident that they're safe and there's cover nearby. 

Lovely little things aren't they?

Seasons Greetings to you too image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 14,399

Maybe it's a juvenile robin

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • You can usually tell Dunnocks by their pink legs. Shy birds in my experience and there doesn't seem to be as many about these days.

B3 wrote (see)

Maybe it's a juvenile robin

Juvenile robins acquire a red breast at the first moult, which is roughly 10 weeks after fledging. - even in a late brood that wouldn't be after October.

• B3B3 Posts: 14,399

I stand corrected, Dove.  I'm a bird noticer rather than a birdwatcherimage

In London. Keen but lazy.

Oooh you make me sound a bit fierce - don't mean to be image

Earlier in the year it might well have been a juvenile robin, if it had a speckly breast and dark legs image

• BiljeBilje Posts: 472
    I have, or thought I have, several Dunnocks visiting but now I'm going to have to check to see if they have pink legs! Thanks for the info ????????????????????????
  • Just another thought, do you have black redstarts in your area Mags? It could be a female, they are brown and bob about.