Forum home Talkback

carrots

What are best fertilizer for carrots??

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,861

Hello Garden Fairy image

I use an area of the garden that has been manured for a previous crop, so that the manure has been well broken down by the time I'm ready to sow the carrots - then I use a light sprinkling of Fish, Blood and Bone when preparing the bed.  It's an organic slow-release fertiliser and I find that's all they need.  Too much fertiliser and you'll get a lot of leaf and no carrot.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,861

Snap! Verdun image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Snap again....to which I would add:

Soil preparation is important. Because carrots are a root vegetable that grow below the surface of the soil, phosphate and potassium are more beneficial to carrot growth.

There are many suitable fertilizers on the market, but perhaps blood, fish & bonemeal would be best.....alternatively, just straight bonemeal.

As I've said many times before, it pays to familiarise yourself with the NPK code, this way you will know the correct fertilizer for all your plants.  

• Thanks a ton people!! I ll see to it imageimage lots of love