Problem with grass creeping from next door into border

I have a very narrow strip boarder that runs adjacent to a fence. The  neighbouring property is rented and so the garden is pretty much only looked after once a year or so, and their borders have been left to run rampant with grass, which means I have a problem with grass growing under the fence and into my garden.

I spend a lot of time digging out the rhizomes and roots every 4 months or so. I'm hoping to get some plants in next year and would like to reduce the spread of grass from next door. I only really want to grow foxgloves and perhaps hesperis matronalis in this border as it's only exposed to partial-sun, but I'm worried about the impact of the grasses next door. 

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,277

Nothing to add to Verdun's advice but if you would like some Hesperis m. seeds, I'm pretty sure I have some remaining from this yearimage

• ecokidecokid Posts: 137

Thanks Verdun + Philippa, I think that's probably the best option. It's a pity as I wanted to get the foxgloves in as soon as possible (I sowed them last summer and they could do with some space!) Also, thanks Philippa for the offer but have a dozen plants all ready to go. I'll try and get the ditch dug over Christmas as long as the rain holds off for long enough. image Do foxsgloves transplant well as I have a few already established which will need lifting while I dig the trench? 

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,030

Hi ecokid, I very often find self-seeded foxgloves in the garden and just dig them up and put them where I want them without any problems.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,629
    LesleyK wrote (see)

Hi ecokid, I very often find self-seeded foxgloves in the garden and just dig them up and put them where I want them without any problems.

Same here Lesley - transplanting foxgloves is no problem whatsoever. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,175

Re the grass - I'd just get on my hands and knees once a month and remove it by hand-weeding.  I do this to all my flower beds around once a month .... think it's called gardening image

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.”