Can anyone identify this bird ?

I found this dead bird this afternoon  when I was just going out shopping.   It's the size of a pigeon but with lovely feathers and a long beak as you can see.   It had been shot in the head.  

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,321

No photo showing Runny..........image 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,190

The pic got left behind Rb

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 7,562

Sorry, it didn't happen on my original post. 

Can't enlarge on this computer........wouldn't be an Egret would it ?

Not an Egret Phillipa.  Just had a look on Google.   It's feathers are a lovely tawney brown colour and it has a very long beak at least 4-5" long. 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,082

Yep Woodcock...poor thing image

A Sandpiper or similar ?  I am frustrated with this old computer which won't let me enlarge any pics on hereimage

Yes, definatley a Woodcock Edd and Fishy.  Iv just read about them and watched them on youtube.    A lovely bird with an unusual call/Sound.   A nocturnal creature and you are lucky if you see one.  This one has pellet straight through the head Unfortunately.      Thanks all. 

Glad that is sorted......it would have kept me awake.  Why on earth is someone shooting that without collecting it ?

Another idiot in our midst Phillipa.   I think I know who it is.  He's always out with his gun shooting something.  As I said IDIOT !!!!  image