Daffodils

Hi, due to the high winds and heavy rain we have, and are, experiencing, my first showing of daffodils are showing brown tips on the end of the leafy growth, and now I notice that the first flower heads are also showing this.

Should I snip off the ends of the leaves where this is occurring and will it stop the flowers from appearing?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,669

I'd leave them alone to sort themselves out.

Devon.
  • Good idea, but it will be a shame if I don't get any flowers after nurturing and coddling, but they are hardy little blighters and will probably weather the winter better than I do - no pun intended.

• Thanks guys

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,554

I've found in the past that daffodils sometimes show brown at the tips if the bulbs have been dry earlier just as they're starting into growth.  They are usually much happier if kept on the damp side. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I don't think that has happened as we have had so much rain, if anything, they may have been too wet, although I have tried to ensure they are well drained as they are in pots on a patio and I have tried to keep them as sheltered as I could.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

For mine it means I walked on them as they were coming throughimage

• lol no fear of that, unless I was using the pots like stepping stones

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,554
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh