Forum home Problem solving

(Untitled)

we have plant lice on our pumpkin plant and I am not sure what to do, as we intend to it the pumpkin later on.

does anyone have advise?

thanks image

• What do you mean by plant lice exactly??image

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

a) What are plant lice?

b) Why could you not eat the pumpkin?

There are insects of all types and descriptions crawling all over plants and produce.  Don't worry about them.  Wash the veg before you eat them, though if you don't use pesticides they will be even better than supermarket produce which is sprayed repeatedly.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,391

I'm guessing Kleeblatt means aphids (this is often what they are called in the US and other countries where US English is taught.)  If so, mix a few drops of detergent (the type used for washing dishes) with water in a hand sprayer and spray the plant, concentrating on wetting the undersides of the leaves.  This will drown most of the aphids.  Repeat after a few days if there are still a lot.

Welshonion's advice about insects is good.  Nothing to worry about - just wash the pumpkin before use.  Plant pests don't generally carry diseases that can pass to humans or animals.  They might look disgusting but are not dangerous - unlike many of the chemicals that are sprayed on plants by commercial producers to control them..

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • KleeblattKleeblatt Posts: 52

yes, aphids, I meant. sorry, I am not native speaker image

read about the soap, but was not sure which soap is best...

also read about onion and banana peel.

I put banana peel in the soil and sprayed the leaves with juice extracted from onion. hope this will be good?

did anyone try this before?

I meant, I was looking for organic treatment, as I do not want chemicals go into the pumpking fruit, which we then eat.

the pumpkin did not produce fruits yet and if the aphids stay on, the plant won't have enough energy to produce fruits, no?

I am quite new to veggie gardeningimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 82,740

In the past I've used  Ecover washing up liquid mixed into a solution about 1:15 with water and sprayed onto the aphids using those little 1 pint hand sprayers - it worked on aphids on roses, doing it about once aweek for a few weeks.  It  won't  affect the eating quality of the fruit. image

Welcome to the Forum and good luck with your gardening!

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

thank you all image