Forum home Problem solving

Cats in the vegetable beds!

• Alie4 to Dave Morgan's recent comment: IO favour 'decorating' areas of loose soil with closely-spaced sprigs of extreemly prickly holly! As Corporal Jones was wont to say "They don't like it up 'em!!"

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,129
    philippa smith2 wrote (see)

Are you using a catabacus Ed ?image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

philippa smith2 wrote (see)

Fairy........I just had a vision of an abacus with rows of tiny cats as opposed to beads.  I don't suppose they would have the same satisfying "clack" as you moved them along the string........."ouch" would probably be more likelyimage

Oh I don't know philippa.... if you dry roasted them....image image

• Better to net the cats rather than the beds. Dash it - how many people have I offended now.

• PhiippaS: You have my (deepest) sympathies - we had a similar problem in our kitchen from a cold water feed (ie high pressure) pipe which appeared to have been 'kinked' by some object when the concrete floor was cast. The pipe section was less than 2" under the surface, yet had lasted over 20 years before disgracing itself (cue: indoor water feature). Outcome: re-positioned pipework & complete kitchen refit [thankfully covered by our insurers]. Let's hope that your current travails are sorted fairly soon. Big Hugs!!

You may need these philippa...image

http://static.simmsfishing.com/catalog/product/cache/2/small_image/818x1175/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/w/o/womens-freestone-wader-smoke_s15.jpg

Hope you can get someone to fix it before January image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,347

Oh Phillipa image  - hope you're not still barrowing broken concrete image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,113

RB, I love Cockney rhyming slang. Can't use it because it would sound daft said with a Yorkshire accent but love the ingenuity.

Here's Aris

http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/slang/aris

Sorry to hear about leaks. Very stressful. 

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • As a cat-owning gardener may I add further controversy by saying that it is possible to have a smart garden and have a cat in residence.  To dissuade mine from using particular areas for their toileting I cut bamboo canes into approx. 8"-10" lengths and insert them at intervals in the ground around the plants.  As quoted already above, they don't like it up 'em, and unlike dogs, cats won't try to dig them out, they'll just abandon that place and find somewhere less uncomfortable to 'do their business'. Also it's quite easy to locate the poo and remove it, you can smell it from several yards away even when they think they've buried it. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,347

Glad you've found the leak Philippa image  Hope it all gets cleared up and sorted out soon.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh