Forum home Fruit & veg

Manuring before growing carrots

I have created a raised bed for veg, mainly salad, peas and roots.  I used some leftover soil which is very sandy - maybe 50% sand. I know I can't grow carrots in freshly manured soil, but if I manure now, will that be too soon to sow carrots in Spring?

• As long as the worms get chance to do their stuff you should be ok 

• The soil was free and easy to move, but I knew it needed improving. The raised bed is quite large so I think I'll manure one half for other veg this year, and fish blood n bonemeal the other half for carrots and other roots this year, then swap over next year. Thank you for yourreally helpful advice.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,754

you can grow carrots in pure sand ( as show growers do ) so I'd agree about not manuring, otherwise you'll have wonky comedy carrots with crossed legs.

Devon.
  • Sorry OP, I was wrong but I've learned that I shouldn't manure my carrot pots for next year

• You were being helpful - no need for apology. One thing about gardening I love is trying things out; some are mistakes and some turn out looking wonderful. I am still putting my tulip and muscari bulbs in (image) but we will see if that is a mistake or if it will all turn out looking fine.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,754

Frankie, nature is very forgiving. Remember , the bulbs want to grow, they don't want to die. Might be a bit late, but I'm sure fine

Devon.
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

The rate bulbs are coming up at the moment they'll be doing their stuff in no time!