Forum home The potting shed

What's in your bag?

Good morning all,

For those I haven't yet chatted to, I'm Nora, a new member of the team at gardenersworld.com. Nice to meet you image

We'll soon be running a magazine feature on foreign bodies found in bags of branded/proprietary compost. Have you ever found strange bits of waste in your compost?

Here in the office we've found bits of plastic bags, pieces of painted wood that haven't rotted down, and even shards of glass.

I'd love to hear from you...

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

Hi Nora, I've found pretty much the same as you.

Devon.
  • LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Good morning Noraimage

The compost I normally buy has always been reasonably OK but as I had new 'special' seedlings to pot up I treated myself to a special bag from the GC.  That turned out to be a packed bag of what looked like half rotted woodchip plus a marble.  I had to use it as a mulch.

I'm sure you'll get many better storiesimage

• Mel MMel M Posts: 347

I took over an allotment and when I emptied one of the plastic compost bins I found bits of plastic of all shades, bits of weed control fabric, nylon string, glass, large stones and even a potato peeler!!!  Apart from the potato peeler and the large stones, pretty much the same as the commercial stuff. 

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Hi nora I've had strip's of plastic bags but nothing elseimage
  • NoraWNoraW Posts: 393

A potato peeler! image

Thanks for your responses so far guys. Keep them coming...

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Mel: like you when I emptied the compost bin at my house from the first time (previous occupants were very keen gardeners) I found a silver spoon (still have it!) And half a tub of Roses sweet wrappers! Me thinks Mr. Previous Occupant had been sneaking sugary treats and hiding the evidence!

Even in expensive shop brought compost I'm amazed at the amount of wood chippings, bits of string, blue plastic (why always blue?), you get with it. I currently have four compost bins on the go to try and reduce the need to buy the rubbish.

Entertainly the BEST compost I brought was three ton of cheap top soil in my previous house: nothing you put near it could do anything but grow into epic monsters. And not a single bit of rubbish in the entire three ton.

• Plastic, wood, metal, glass and polythene so far.   Oh yes, and a bit of soil tooimage

To be absolutely fair tho, we ( the general public ) are just as much to blame when we chuck other rubbish in with the green stuff.  I assume there is a limit to the size of rubbish which can realistically be filtered out.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,705

The worst thing I found was a 6inch stainless steel nail. I ended up seiving a bag, and got half a bag of useable compost, and half a bag of wood chips and bits of plastic, and the odd bit of glass. No wonder bags now have the warning to wear gloves. 

I now buy Levington pro M3 which is meant for the nursery trade, and is peat based.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3