carrots

imagei seem to have no luck growing carrots. so this is plan b. i am trying pellet  seeds      this year.. has anyone ever tried these .and what results. i thought it would save thinning . hence carrot fly.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Carrots tend to be fairly slow to germinate anyway (though better than parsnips).  I suspect that what we perceive as failure to germinate could actually be slug-munching.

You're quite right that thinning attracts carrot fly and pelleted seed allows thinner sowing, but them b*ggers can smell 'em anyway.

• i thought pellets could be spaced out so no thinning needed which attracts the fly. thanks for input.verdun.

Yes, they can, as above.  But they'll smell the foliage anyway.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    It's the thinning that does it, I'm going to start mine in kitchen roll tubes put about 3 seeds in and don't thin them I do it with parsnips in the conservatory and when i plant them out I put a 4pt milk carton over them until they out grow itimage
  • My lack of luck manifests itself in forked specimens.  I know it's my fault but I've decided it's less frustrating to buy them from the farm.  They know how to grow them!

Forking is caused by the root tip dying and being replaced by lateral meristems, like pruning to axillary buds on the stem.  So the trick is to avoid killing off the root tip - fresh manure will do it, as will hitting a stone or being disturbed by transplanting.  Avoid those and you shoud be OK.

That's what they do.

• Thank you, Steve; now I know, I might have yet another try.  Wish me luck!

Verdun!!