How cold is too cold for a Cupressus Goldcrest?

Hello,

I'd be extremely grateful if someone could help me. We have what we're 99% sure is a Monterey cypress/Cupressus macrocarpa/Goldcrest, and he lives in a pot in our garden. We live in the north of England, and he's been fine so far, but it's starting to get VERY cold here, and we're worried that if the temperature gets much colder, it'll be too cold out there for him.

Should we bring him in if it gets much colder, or just leave him where he is? He's currently in a sheltered position next to our outbuilding, but is that enough? Rather than bringing him in, would we be better off getting him a fleece plant blanket?

Also, I've read that suddenly putting plants outdoors/bringing them indoors can be unpleasant for them, so if we do bring him in, would we need to transition him slowly so as not to shock him?

I'd be extremely grateful for any advice – we're not really garden people (we got this one as a gift), but we love our little tree and want to make sure he's okay.

Thanks for reading! image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,410

Hi image

He'll be fine outside, even in a very cold winter. He'd be very unhappy indoors - the atmosphere would be too warm and dry and the light levels would be too low.

The best thing to do is to raise the pot off the ground on pot feet that you can buy from a garden centre, or on a couple of bricks until then - being careful not to block the drainage hole in the pot.  That way the roots won't get waterlogged.  You might want to protect the pot from frost damage by wrapping it in a couple of layers of bubble-wrap - but don't cover the soil in the pot. 

If snow collects on your tree brush it off gently to prevent the weight of the snow from bending the branches, and don't water or feed it until the spring. 

How big is he and how big is his pot?  He might need moving to a bigger pot in the spring.  If he does, John Innes No 3 Loam-based compost is the one to use.

Hope that helps.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,858

Hi Bella - as Dove says, they're perfectly fine outside, it's where they're meant to be. Snow is the biggest problem if it collects on the branches as it can break them, but it's usually only an issue for bigger specimens.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you very much, Dovefromabove and Fairygirl -- that's what we'll do!

Our tree is 26" tall from soil to tip, and his pot is 10" tall and 32.5" round at its widest point. Would you be kind enough to tell me how we'll know if he needs repotting in the spring?

• Verdun -- thank you very much!

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Hi  Bella, 

we have 8 Cupressus sempervirens 'Green Spire' which are now about 8' and in sunken pots

we are about to lift them place them on a pallet on a sheltered corner, wrap pits in fleece and wire the trees. We do this every year with success not sure what I am going to do as they get bigger!!!

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Thank you, Lily Pilly -- how much bigger might yours get?!