Winter sown garden peas germinating early

Good day all,

Just looking for advice please. About a month ago I made a winter sowing of 'Meteor' peas in a raised bed presuming from packet instructions that they would germinate next year. As temperaures are so mild they have germinated already. Can I save them by covering in fleece or shall I face the fact that I have lost them when frosts hit.

Thanks

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    They will germinate now but grow away earlier in the spring, can't find anything on the web but I would cover them with fleece or maybe a poly tunnel, somebody might come up with something elseimage
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,578

They sound as if they're doing what I would expect.  Provided they were a hardy (round seeded) variety intended for autumn sowing they'll be fine in all but the worst of winters. 

If you want to you could use one of those polythene mini-tunnels for them, but if they're up and growing they may soon need twigs to support them and that'd get in the way of a tunnel.

Unless you're in a very inhospitable part of the UK I wouldn't worry about protecting them from the weather.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I've just checked and Meteor are advertised as having 'excellent winter hardiness'.  I wouldn't worry image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Red 2Red 2 Posts: 2

Hey thanks Guys,

Great forum - what an excellent and speedy response.  Think I'll just keep my eyes on them then!image

Welcome aboard Red 2 image

Enjoy your gardening!