Grass Paths

I'm helping a friend re do there garden (i've been asking lots of questions on here for a while!). It's a long narrow garden and so i'm going to create 3 rooms, 1st is a sunken patio which leads out from the basement kitchen with french doors then up 2ft of stairs to the 2nd "room" which will be a flower/herb/veg garden with a smallish lawn, and the third is going to be a screen off area for their yurt. I need to connect these areas with a path. Are grass paths a viable option? do they not just wear very quickly especially in winter? Is there a particular mix of grass you'd recomend?

The other option i was thinking of is washed pea shingle with a brick edge. Or maybe you could suggest another option? It's a 17th Cen walled terrace garden, 5.5x20m.

Thanks image

Sam

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,343

I'd avoid the grass path for the reasons you've set out. Gravel would not only be more practical but would also lend a different texture. IMHO 

Devon.
  • I'd forget grass. Various nice gravels are available, such as the flinty or Cotswold ones about 20mm, which are a yellow/gold colour, or use slate, which comes in various colours. Lay this on a base of AT LEAST 150mm (I used 300mm on a couple of jobs and they're still fine after 15 years) of crushed stone of the sort that is sold as sub-base (20mm to dust). Compact this base course with a tamper or by machine (a whacker or a small roller). Brick edge or timber would be fine. Don't under-design or skimp on the build quality - you only want to do the job once!

• As other have stated a narrrow path of glass would have to much traffic in one area and would take a large amount of work to renovate it back in to life every year. Gravel path if contained in the path area would be a better choice and a better alternative to, what would be, a muddy strip of turf 

• M FentM Fent Posts: 166
    Cant you buy some sort of netting that you put into the ground to take the weight off the soil which in turn should stop it from getting too muddy. A grass path that is kept trim and tidy would look rather nice.
  • Thanks everyone image
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,677

I'd echo Tetley about the smaller gravels being too small. Bigger will be more practical.

If you have the budget, a paved path matching the wall would be ideal but needs to be properly laid to look right. image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• Exactly. I'm looking into getting some reclaimed bricks to match the wall. At ??1 per brick it might get quite expensive! I've done quite a lot of block paving in the past so I think I might do it myself. Going from a grass or gravel path to a herringbone brick path is going to change the time scale and budget a little though!
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,434

We put something like this (can't remember the name, but it looked like this)

http://www.horsematshop.co.uk/34-grass-pavers.html

down on our lower garden. It is on a steep slope and is mostly rough grass which is cut in the late summer. While the grass slope used to be very slippery after rain the two paths we made with these blocks are 100% safe. image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.