Forum home Fruit & veg

Pruning and Protecting 'Super Hot' Chilli Pepper Plants for Winter

http://cdn.instructables.com/FL6/0XAI/IHP4O16H/FL60XAIIHP4O16H.SMALL.jpg

Super hot chilli plants such as the 'Carolina Reaper' and 'Bhut Jolokia' need to be pruned every now and again and more specifically, pruned for surviving the Winter in temperate climates such as in the UK.

My plants were sown from seed at the beginning of April this year in a propagation box and potted on into the glasshouse where they thrived and even produced a few fruit, which is very good going in the first year. The 'Super Hots' are generally perennials, which means that they will keep growing and producing fruit for a number of years.

All hot chilli peppers originally came from the deepest darkest depths of the Amazon from where they spread and expanded in diversity through central America, the Caribbean and on to India.The species that I grow are essentially 'Capsicum chinense' but the true lineage is slightly more complicated than this. For example, the Bhut Jolokia, is an interspecies hybrid of C. chinense and C. frutescens genes. The Carolina Reaper was then created by crossing this plant with the Red Habanero.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,786

My understanding is that most folk sow each year from seed as overwintering can just lead to whitefly infestation, but I'm no expert

Devon.
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I'll see if I can find our chilli thread, Stacey is our chilli guru / monster 

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/plants/chilli-peppers/246444-15.html 

Hope there is something on here to help you image

• Yes, white fly, aphids can be a problem, but these 'Super Hots' have such a long growing season that there is not enough time to produce many fruit up here in North Wales in the first year. Next year they should get a really good head start and produce plenty of lovely super hot chillies.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I have problems with greenfly somebody told me not to put older plants with them that has been outside and it did work until the end of the summer but not as bad only a few but they don't do very well over winter so I start again with seedimage
  • Hello Logan. What varieties of chillies are you growing? Thanks.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Hi TegwynTwmffat I had trouble germinating bought chilli seed so I collected from bought chillies and no problem they're called komodo dragonimage
  • Mel MMel M Posts: 347

I grew Chocolate Douglah this year. Healthy enough plants, covered in fruit but all very small with little heat. Overwintering them with high hopes for next year.I also grew my old favourites, Pruvian Lemon drop and Ohnivec which are always reliable and productive from seed each year, and more over germinate in my bog standard electric proporgator which is more than the Moruga Scorpion and Carolina Reaper did! The Super Chilli did very well being very productive and simple to germinate.

I am trying White Habernero and multi coloured Aji for a change next year, seed already sown, and also trying a new batch of Reaper.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,786

Has anyone overwintered, or successfully sown saved seed of Zimbabwean Black?

Devon.
  • LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

I've overwintered several Capsicum species, one was 7-10 years old but I killed it this month, on purpose. If you overwinter a species that needs a long growing season, you get an early harvest, and even a second harvest. The only problem is that you need space indoors, so I only keep one plant. I never had issues with greenfly except once from a bought plant.