Ground preparation for lawn turf

Hi all,

I have just joined this forum hoping to learn more about gardening in general, but for starters, ground preparation for lawn turf.

I had hoped that I could search the threads to read other forum members approaches, but I can't seem to find the search button. Maybe that will be my first reply back!

Anyway, our project involves extending the rear of the house and some landscaping work in our small garden (8x20 mtr).

Sometime in the past there was some raised beds supported by stone walls around the perimeter and into the centre. The walls and beds have now gone, but the foundations are still there. And boy, they are very tough. They must be a foot deep and made from brilliant concrete. I have used an electric hammer chisel to chip away, but only managed to get about 4 inch off in one area!

We are planning to level all this area and lay some lawn turf for spring 2017, so my question is, is 4 inch enough depth for the turf to grow without shading over the remains of the foundations? 

Thanks in advance.

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,529

I can't answer your question with any confidence as I'm just creating a new lawn myself (if you click on my name and then look at my posts there are a couple of threads) but I can help with the search box. It's a general one up at the top of the page - just says 'Search this site'. Once you've searched you can limit your results to just posts on the forum. One thing tomwatch out for is that threads in 'Talkback' are often (not always) comments on GW articles, so sometimes don't make much sense out of context.

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,529

Oh gosh, didn't realise that my posts would list every single one rather than collecting by thread! Here's my main lawn one, with does have a little bit about what's underneath and how deep: http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/garden-design/raising-the-level-of-a-lawn/762061.html 

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero