Forum home Wildlife gardening

question ? squirrels as gardeners

I was wondering if it was possible to give some squirrels some seeds or bulbs that are cheap (and as an experiment) to put in my feeder which I put nuts to feed the birds and squirrels. I noticed them starting to bury the nuts and I was wondering if I could feed them something which they can bury for me and possibly forget about then maybe I will get a surprise from them this year

• what are you using to feed them with ??

• B3B3 Posts: 15,495

Someone near our old house used to feed peanuts to the squirrels. They used to come up all over the garden. They never survived the winter though.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,823

They plant oaks all over for me. I spent ages digging them up again.

They are really good at eating crocus bulbs.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • GardenGrower11GardenGrower11 EnglandPosts: 305

Nice idea Matthew.

I'm sure the squirrels play their part in distributing sunflower seeds, both from sunflowers I've grown myself as well as sunflower seeds found in bird feed.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,455

The squirrels where I used to work would gather the fallen chestnuts and plant them in plant pots and borders in the grounds - chestnut trees were springing up all over the place every spring image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• GardenGrower11GardenGrower11 EnglandPosts: 305

Edd, too much.

If you find pleasure and amusement in guns and killing squirrels that's up to you, many people are not the same.

• I have been observing the squirrels in my garden. They are busy burying something - I know not what - whilst being watched by a Jay. As soon as the Squirrel has finished its task and moved off elsewhere, the Jay swoops down and carries off the goodies. Now then, which of these two is making the best use of its brain?