Forum home The potting shed

Fed up with the heat!

I wish it would cool down... much as I hate to say it! Having nurtured lots of plants through the cold spring, I am fed up with losing them to the scorching sun. Today I saw a chocolate cosmos had shrivelled up.  So, with some help from OH, I put up a gazebo to shelter my other seedlings. Hopefully the little plants that are waiting to go in will not die! Is it daft to go to these extremes?

• Such is gardening....image

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

Mother Nature can be so naughty.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,264

New seedlings and potted plants need lots of water when the weather is hot and dry...

• I'm loving it!

Actually I was about to post that contrary to what the media and experts have been saying, the harsh spring and LOVELY image weather we're currently having  has had a great effect on my plants. I've never had so many blooms, so much fruit - my strawberries are large and lush, brassicas are massive, and for the first time ever, my outdoor tomatoes seem to be doing well.

I have just emptied number three water butt, so maybe a bit of rain would be nice

• Hi Verdun, agreed March was disappointing from our perpesctive, and a lot of sowing and planting had to be delayed but I do think a lot of the plants seem to have benefitted. I thought my apples might have suffered but I've got lots of fruit developing.

Right, back to work, gardening or housework ........... hmmm which do you think might be the choice? image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,119

Outdor girl - I sympathise. Most of my stuff's in pots just now so at least I can move them around a bit if they're wilting. It's not always easy to deal with the weather that's thrown at us! We're not used to this up here at all and we 're usually planting stuff that copes with excessive rain....I can almost see some of the plants glaring at me as if to say 'what on earth do you think you're playing at??' image

How about a bit of fine netting/material of some kind draped over anything that's struggling (like a little sunshade) - even if it's just for the sunniest part of the day? Or a  parasol/brolly stuck in the ground nearby?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Outdoor girlOutdoor girl Posts: 286

I've done lots of shuffling this morning - at 6am! The side of the house is very shady,so it's now crammed with tomatoes, peppers, perennial seedlings such as monarda & sweet rocket. Just waiting for some rain to soften the rock hard ground so I can plant. Yes - the stuff already in the ground is flowering / producing well!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,030

Young plants and plants in pots are like babies and toddlers - entirely dependant on us for their care and safety in whatever heat or rain we get thrown at us.   They need help to stay warm enough not to freeze to death when it's cold and help to stay cool when it's hot plus appropriate watering and the correct nutrients to survive and thrive.

Chocolate cosmos is from Mexico so can cope with heat and sun if it has the right growing conditions and sufficient mositure.

The heat and sun are very welcome here, especially after last year's cold, wet, summer with insufficient light levels.    Enjoy it while you can and take better care of your treasures.  They'll thank you for it by putting on a good display and growing strong.  

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I must say I'm loving the heat.

Mind you I have everything in pots so generally have to water every day anyway.