A BEE thing.

Keen 1Keen 1 Posts: 187

Hi all. Just a little comment. Summer here, plants blooming, the Bees are hard at it  and with still the Butterflies to come. I am referring to my area where there seems to be many more Bees about this year though mostly Bumbles of various sizes. Either way or whatever its good to see. We have found that some smaller Bumbles have set up home in one of the bird nesting boxes just in the woods next door - much coming and going. Theres a strange thing about this though in that whatever it is there has appeared across the front of the box and half covering the entry hole a white band of something. I am not going to investigate since I believe in leaving well alone - any ideas. Now Hornets - living near woods they are about and occasionally come into the garden for a drink at the pond or whatever they are at. Heres a little question - has anyone ever been "studied" by one - I will explain. I have had on several occasions had just a solo one stop and hover just say 3 or 4 feet away from me at eye level - as if giving me the once over then flying off. Has anyone else ever experienced this - just for interest...

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,386

I think the invasion of nesting boxes is by tree bumbles.

We had a huge hornet (with a yellow face), last year in the house in Spring. We let it go a good distance away.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Keen 1Keen 1 Posts: 187

Hi. A few pics, the Bees restaurant.

• joulesjoules Posts: 12

You have a little insect paradise their image

Hi joules. Thanks. A kind word means so much especially when a great deal of effort has deliberately gone into producing something of benefit to this poor planet of ours  which is being seriously done to death as I see it. Nuff said and  thank you my friend - you keep well.

• SunnydayzSunnydayz Posts: 50

Fabulous little garden, it is indeed an oasis for insects. Just on the bee front, I've mentioned on another thread, check out the Bee conservation trust website, very interesting and they do charts and info on a regular basis on what to look for.

Enjoy the weather ... and all you insect friends image

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,221

yes, I have had the same experience of being given the once-over by a hornet. Very unnerving. I also once got stung by one while walking through grass. Not an experience I ever want to repeat.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 44,415

I love hornets - we had one in the garden last year, on the fennel flowers just outside the kitchen window - I'll swear it was watching me doing the washing up image I dashed out with my camera 

Several years ago we were camping near an old oak which had a hornets' nest in it - we lit flares in the evening to keep the mozzies away, but the poor hornets were  drawn inexorably to the flames and immolated themselves - it was so sad to see we doused the flares and shut ourselves in tents and went to sleep, leaving Nature to carry on undisturbed image

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt ... Margaret Atwood
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 19,963

Keen - do you mean hoverflies and not hornets? They regularly 'stop and stare'  - while hovering of course! 

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

Hi Fairygirl. I did a few minutes ago reply to this - it appeared on site and now has gone - will try again as near as poss to the original. Hope you are well and hows the "spell" business - set any good Frogs lately?. I am correct in that these are for sure Hornets I refer to but  agree  that as you say the Hoverflies do this "once over" thing also. We get a lot of them ( 2 types mainly) each year and have a job keeping them out of the Lean To which they do love to come and visit - spend a lot of time removing them safely - mostly use the plastic beaker and thin card method ( as with Bees/Butterflies etc). Ref Hornets this area has many many Trees of all kinds and their nests can be seen about ( and avoided for sure).

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 19,963

Wand's malfunctioning these days - keep asking for some rain to save me from watering but it won't listen ...image

I love hoverflies but not had hornets before - not that I'm aware of anyway. Maybe we don't get them up here- does anyone know??  Loads of bees now which is great  and trying to get more planting suitable for all wildlife.

to walk through a forest is to touch the past