Forum home Wildlife gardening

New visitor to my bird feeders

Over the last few days this has been a regular visitor to my bird feeders. I haven't seen it catch anything yet though. I did check the RSPB website to see whether I should be trying to discourage it but the gist of their advice was just to enjoy it so I will! (Sorry the photo's not much good - photography isn't my strong point).

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,806

They are beautiful aren't they? So fierce.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I also have a sparrowhawk. However,  I did witness it take out a woodpecker in the garden last week. The woodpeckers have been frequent visitors for the last 3 years. They bought their 2 young to visit this year. The female is still around. A kestrel does a regular fly past.

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,087

The first time I noticed it was because a woodpecker flew into the conservatory window because it was being chased and I will be very sad if it catches one. It is really beautiful though.

I don't think it's a very skilled hunter - it seems to spend a lot of time being taunted by the blue tits who hide in a nearby thick branched deutzia and fly out of the other side when the sparrowhawk tries to chase them just to fly straight back in on the other side and wait for it to strike again!

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,482

They sometimes sit for long enough to get a really decent photo.

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww32/Owdboggy/hawksmall1.jpg

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww32/Owdboggy/sparrowhawkhead.jpg

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • "Chapeau", Mr/s Berghill! Brilliant shots.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MarygoldMarygold Posts: 326

I had one rest on the pergola just above the kitchen window. Looked up from making a tea to see a big beady eye looking back.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

It's probably a youngster, this years brood sizing up the target area. It may be a female it looks quite large. Males are smaller and take small birds, the females like bigger prey blackbirds up to jays. Fantastic you have one.

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,087

Those are lovely photos, Berghill! I think I'll give up trying to photograph this one and just enjoy watching it....

Actually, if mine could take an interest in the pigeons that would be a double bonus.