Forum home Problem solving

(Untitled)

I found this after 11 years in my present garden, it had been hiding in between overgrown conifers. I pulled a bit through, thinking I was 'sharing ' a neighbours plant and discovered it was in my own garden!

I replanted it last year and I'm pleased with the flowers but want it to screen out the house in the first picture. It's been neglected for years and is to say the least a bit leggy, but loved.

i know it'll soon be time to prune but what is the best way to ensure height and bushiness to hide the onlookers?

thank you. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,866

Its a philadelphus. probably virginal. You prune it after flowering, usually removing a third of the old wood to about a foot from the floor. Yours is so leggy I would probably prune it all down to a foot after flowering. You would probably sacrifice all the flowers for next year, but it would make a better structure.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

That was quick, thanks FB. If I tried to prune hard from half way up would it lose growth at the bottom (which is ok) and grow from where I pruned to hide the house? Sorry not sure i can explain that any better.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,866

Yes , I would think all the new growth will be at the top, but you will have a lot of bare branches at the bottom.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

Bare bran he's I can cope with, neighbfervently different. Thanks.